Property Tax Payment
On this page:
- Payment instructions
- Payment schedule
- Property tax payment online or by phone
- Payment online with your bank
- Payment by mail
- Payment in person
- Delinquent taxes and lien dates
- Accounts subject to foreclosure
- Returned checks
- Two party checks not accepted
- Post-dated checks
- Taxes paid by mortgage companies
- Please keep your mailing address current
Multnomah County mails approximately 300,000 real and personal property tax statements and notices. Statements will be mailed between October 15 and 25, 2013. If you have not received your statement by November 1, please call 503-988-3326.
Payment schedules - 2013
Property taxes may be paid in installments using one of the following schedules. To receive a discount, payments MUST be delivered, U.S. postmarked, or paid online via Multnomah County's website on or before November 15. Payments made through your financial institution's online bill payment services must be scheduled so payment is received by November 15. Returned checks will cause loss of discount and interest charges. Tax statements for less than $40 must be paid in full.
Pay the "Full Payment" amount on or before November 15 and receive a 3% discount.
Pay the "2/3 Payment" amount on or before November 15 and receive a 2% discount. The final one-third payment is due by May 15.
Pay the "1/3 Payment" amount on or before November 15. There is no discount. The second one-third payment is due by February 18, and the final one-third payment is due by May 15.
By law, property tax payments must be credited to the earliest year for which taxes are due.
You can pay your Multnomah County property taxes using one of the following options:
- Online, via credit card or e-check
- By phone
- Online with your bank
- By mail
- In person
Property tax payment online or by phone
- American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit or debit cards or e-check (electronic funds transfer from a financial institution that honors e-check transactions).
- These transactions cannot be processed at the county office.
- A convenience fee will be assessed by Official Payments, our third-party payment service provider which varies for online or phone transactions.
Pay by Internet Fees:
|Visa or MasterCard Debit Card Fees||1% of payment ($1.00 minimum)|
|American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa Credit Card||2.5% of payment ($3.95 minimum)|
Pay by Phone Fees:
|American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa Credit Card or Debit Card||2.5% of payment ($3.95 minimum)|
Multnomah County does not collect or retain any portion of the convenience fee charged.
Before making a payment using the internet or phone, you will need to have the following information available:
- Property Tax Account Number - this can be located on your property tax statement in the upper right corner. If you are paying multiple tax accounts, enter a separate payment for each account in order for your payments to be posted accurately.
- Payment Amount - you can locate the amount due on your property tax statement in the lower 1/2 of the statement.
- If you do not have your property tax statement, you can look up your property tax account information (but not make payments) using the green Guest Login button on www.multcoproptax.org or contact our customer service staff at 503-988-3326. Credit card number for payments by credit card
- Bank's routing transit number and account number for payment by e-check. This information can be located at the bottom of your check. If you choose the e-check option, please verify that your financial institution honors e-checks. Make sure your bank account number is correct. If not, a payment will be returned by your bank and a $25 processing fee will be charged.
- Print or make note of your transaction confirmation for your reference. If you are not sure if a transaction completed, check your e-mail for a confirmation before reentering your payment. If you need to check whether a payment is made at any time, please set up an account and payment information on our online provider's site at: www.officialpayments.com. Otherwise you may call Toll free M-F 5:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time 1-800-487-4567.
- Payment transaction must be completed before 12 midnight (Pacific time) on the due date.
- If a valid payment is not completed by the due date, discounts cannot be allowed and interest will be charged.
To make a payment by telephone, call 1-877-542-5990
Additional information regarding Official Payments’ Frequently Asked Questions, Terms and Conditions, Privacy Statement, and Security Overview is available on the Official Payments site.
Payment online with your bank
Most banks and credit unions provide online bill pay services for customers at no charge. The Multnomah County Tax Collector is registered to receive online bill payments electronically and should be listed as a payee on your financial institution's online bill pay webpage.
Your property tax statement has both the account number and the amount due. If you are paying multiple tax accounts, enter a separate payment for each account using the property tax account as the bill pay account in order for your payments to be posted accurately.
When paying online through your financial institution, schedule your payment early enough for the county to receive your payment by the due date. Scheduling requirements are specified in the rules and regulations on each financial institution's website (typically two to three business days prior to the due date). If Multnomah County does not receive your payment by the due date, discounts cannot be allowed and interest will be charged.
Payment by mail
When paying by mail, please make your check or money order payable to Multnomah County Tax Collector and return the lower portion of your tax statement(s) with your payment. Please do not send cash through the mail. Write your account number(s) on the front of your check or money order to ensure proper credit. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
Please mail your tax payments to:
Division of Assessment, Recording and Taxation
PO Box 2716
Portland, OR 97208-2716
Be sure to mail your payment early enough to be postmarked on or before the due date. Mail deposited in USPS collection boxes on the due date may not be post marked on time. If payments are postmarked after the due date, discounts cannot be allowed and interest will be charged.
Payment in person
Make payments with cash, check or money order at Multnomah County's Tax Office located in Customer Service during our office hours of 9:00 am - 4:30 pm at:
The Multnomah Building
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Room 175
- A secure payment drop box for check payments only is available from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm in the main building lobby for your convenience.
- Our office will be closed, Monday November 12, in observance of Veterans Day
Interest is charged on any past due installment for the schedule you choose. By Oregon law (ORS 311.505), the interest rate is 1.3333% per month or fraction of a month until paid.
Delinquent taxes and lien dates
All personal property and real property machinery and equipment tax is delinquent when any installment is not paid when due. The responsible taxpayer can be served with a warrant 30 days after delinquency. Property can be seized and other financial assets can be garnished.
Real property tax is delinquent if not paid by May 15. Foreclosure proceedings on real property begin when taxes have been delinquent for three years. Read more about delinquent taxes and liens.
Accounts subject to foreclosure
Real property tax accounts with an unpaid balance for any tax year marked with an asterisk (*) on the front of the property tax statement will be subject to foreclosure if not paid on or before May 15. By law payments must first be applied to the earliest year for which taxes are due.
If your check is returned unpaid from your bank for any reason, a $25 processing fee will be added to your account. If the total amount due plus the $25 fee is not received by the due date no discount will be allowed and interest will accrue on any past due portion.
Two party checks not accepted
Two-party checks will be returned to you and not credited to your account. If the return of such checks cause the eventual payment to be made after the due date no discount will be allowed and interest will accrue on any past due portion.
Please do not send post-dated checks. All checks are processed the same day received regardless of the date on the check.
Taxes paid by mortgage companies (yellow statement)
If your statement is yellow, a mortgage company or senior/disabled citizen deferral program has requested tax information to pay your tax bill. If you have any questions regarding who is paying your property tax, contact your mortgage company or the Oregon Department of Revenue if on the deferral program. If you have recently paid off your loan, changed mortgage companies, or canceled your tax reserves, use this statement to pay your property tax.
Please keep your mailing address current
If your mailing address has changed, it is your responsibility to notify us. Please call 503-988-3326, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Division of Assessment, Recording and Taxation; PO Box 2716; Portland OR 97208-2716. Failure to make timely payments due to undeliverable mail could result in loss of the discount and accrual of interest. Read more about making changes to your information.