Animal Codes

Some animals, known as specified animals, have special requirements if you plan on owning them. These animals include: chickens, pigeons, turkeys, geese, cows, horses, mules, burros, donkeys, cattle sheep, goats, pigs, rabbits, llamas and bees.


Not Required:

  • If you have a combination of three or fewer ducks, chickens, rabbits, doves, pigeons or pygmy goats in a residential or commercial setting.
  • For licensed public zoos or other accredited and recognized animal care facilities.


If you have more than three of those animals or one of any other animal mentioned, you must apply for a permit. Being granted a permit is dependant on how closely you meet the City of Portland's criteria.


Well designed chicken coup

Beehives: $12
All other animal permits: $31

Chicken Facility Requirements

A minimum of 2 square feet of floor space (per bird) in the roosting shelter is recommended. Outside, a minimum of 10 square feet of enclosed area per bird is recommended. In addition you should use a thick replaceable ground cover such a straw or wood shavings. Check your local farm store for facility plans.

Wild or Predatory Animals

This includes any animal which is of a wild or predatory nature and which because of its size, vicious nature or other characteristics would constitute an unreasonable danger to human life or property. Therefore, ostriches, emus, peacocks, pheasants, llamas and bison will now be required to obtain a specified animal facility permit.

Frequently asked questions:

Is there a maximum number of animals I can have?

This depends on the size of your property and facility, the type of animal(s) you plan to keep and feedback from your neighbors. This also depends on how well you meet the permit requirements. Often times an inspection may be necessary to determine how many animals you may keep.

If I have 3 or less animals do I still need a permit?

No, except if your facility, such as a chicken coop, is so poorly maintained that it is affecting the wellbeing of your animals or your neighbors. This can include escaping animals or attracting rodent activity.

Why do I need my neighbor’s approval?

Regulations require that you inform your neighbors if you plan to keep specified animals. This prevents conflict from surprised neighbors, allows problem-solving to occur early in the process and reduces complaints.

  • For beekeeping and pigeons: Written and signed approval from all neighbors within 150 feet of your outer property perimeter. This reduces the potential of accidental bee stings to allergic neighbors. For pigeons that are exercised written approval is required.


To make a specified animal complaint, please call 503-988-3464.

Dogs and Cats
For animal complaints regarding dogs and cats—including barking dogs—and complaints regarding exotic animals; or if you are in imminent danger from a roaming animal, call Multnomah County Animal Services at 503-988-7387.

Need Help Talking to Your Neighbor?
You may want to consider first addressing your neighbor or the property owner on a personal, neighbor-to-neighbor basis. A neighborhood mediator from Resolutions Northwest can help you to have productive a conversation and work out peaceful solution.