Vision, Mission, Values and Goals
Healthy people in healthy communities.
In partnership with the communities we serve, the Health Department assures, promotes and protects the health of the people of Multnomah County.
- We believe that health is a "state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." (World Health Organization, 1978)
- We honor the diversity of the individuals and communities we serve and value their differing approaches to health and well-being.
- We believe in partnerships to improve the health of our communities.
- We believe the department's actions should assist our communities in addressing underlying factors that affect good health.
- We value effective leadership as a fundamental tool to improve the health of our communities.
- We believe in being responsible stewards of the public trust and resources.
- We value a diverse staff and believe our staff should be selected with care, treated with respect, held accountable for their performance and encouraged in their personal growth.
- We believe in continuously improving the quality of our work.
- We believe in balancing scientific knowledge and practical experience with the wisdom and beliefs of those we serve to improve the health of our communities.
- We emphasize prevention, health promotion and early intervention.
- Assure individuals, families and communities gain greater control of the factors that influence their health.
- Improve the health of our diverse communities.
- Be an adaptive learning organization that serves as an effective and accountable local public health authority and provider of community health services.